Sunday, December 21, 2008

Surgery update

Well I went into surgery this past Friday and was happy to finally get it over with. I was originally scheduled to go in at 1pm so it was going to be a challenge not to eat or drink anything that morning. I was happy to get a phone call on Thursday from the nurse telling me I was scheduled for 7am. Cool. Got some good rest and was up at 5am to chip the 1/2" of ice off all of our cars and throw a little salt down. Winter came in strong Thursday evening with a nasty ice storm that caused lots of damage in our neighborhood. Tree limbs and even whole trees were down everywhere.



Sloan drove me down to the surgery center, which is a convenient one mile down the road and we were the first ones to arrive for what they told us would be a stacked day at the surgery center. Got prepped, hangin' out in my gown, got the IV in my arm, and I was checking out the cool little device you clamp on your finger that shows you your heart rate. A relaxed 60 bpm or so. I was not nervous at all, just wanted to get it done and over with. After talking one last time to my surgeon Dr Wieland, I headed off to the operating room and got strapped down to the table. As the anesthesis was getting ready to give me the sleep serum, she was looking at the heart monitor and noticed my heart beat looked a little funny. Every once in a while it would skip a beat. I was feeling fine, heart rate still at about 60-65bpm, calm, relaxed, but it was pretty strange looking at my EKG and seeing that my heart did in fact skip a beat every once in a while...


The anesthesiologist came in and basically told them to abort, no way he was allowing me to go through with surgery having an anomaly with my heart. He wanted me to go see a cardiologist immediately. Geesh!! WTF!! My surgeon looked at the EKG and said it was probably no big deal. He wasn't too worried. Bottom line though....abort. They couldn't take a chance of putting me under and having my heart stop for some unknown reason and then not being prepared to jump start me.

So back to the recovery room to recover from nothing and put my clothes back on. Dr Wieland contacted one of the cardiac offices in town and got me in for a 10am consultation. I went in to see Dr Novak who I had actually seen about 10-12 years ago when I was having an issue with rapid heart rate. Long story, but no big deal, turned out to be nothing. Anyway, he looked at me, we talked a bit, he listened to my heart, and looked at my EKG. The verdict....nothing to worry about. This type of abnormality (if you want to call it that) is a common occurrence in lots of people. I should be fine for surgery.

Woo hoo!! I called Dr Wielands office and told them the news and asked if I could reschedule for later that afternoon. If I hadn't eaten a donut and drank some coffee I probably could have gotten in. I rescheduled for the following Monday. Tomorrow!! Probably be like deja vu going in there tomorrow. At least I'm gonna get it done. Recovery should be 6-8 weeks so looks like first of February before I'll be looking to get back into shape.

Have a great Christmas and a Happy New Year!!!

No comments: