Friday, September 14, 2007

I'm goin' to Kona!

With an incredible amount of focus and a insane amount of loyalty and support from my family and friends, I was able to surpass my goals at Iroman Wisconsin. A complete race in all disciplines. Nailed my nutrition and made it hurt, in a good way. That's what it takes to get to Kona.
.
"If you are a triathlete, there is no bigger day in this sport than the Ironman World Championship. It is the race that defined our sport as it came of age, and continues to be the defining race in our sport for any avid triathlete.

To get to the starting line in Kona, you must be very talented and win yourself a qualifying spot at one of the qualifying events held around the world.

Tens-of-thousands of triathletes try to get one of those coveted Ironman spots every year. Only 1,700 succeeded.

That means 1,700 people get to test themselves on one of the biggest challenges the sports world has to offer ... 2.4-miles of swimming, 112-miles of biking, and a 26.2-mile marathon run through tough ocean waves, and challenging lava-covered terrain.

While there are thousands of triathlons around the world, it is this one that truly defines the sport. It is triathlon's Super Bowl, Wimbledon, World Series, World Cup, and Tour de France all rolled into one. What makes this event so unique is that "average" people get to compete alongside the best in the world."

Well, get a load of "average" me next to the "world class" Heather Fuhr as she signs me up for Kona. What a feeling.

I actually got to talk to Heather during registration on the Thursday before the race. I sheepishly asked for her to autograph my poster and she obliged. She was super nice, asked where I was from, how I was feeling, and was very genuine. We talked a little about the race, the difficult course, how she hadn't done the race before but would like to. Most elite pros never get a chance to do IM Wisconsin since its so close to the World Championship race in Kona....World Championship.....Hmm I'm actually racing there next year. No lottery spot. I'm racing.... YYYYEEEEESSSS!!! I'm so stoked!! I'll be out there with the best professional and age group triathletes in the world. It's really hard to wrap my head around that. I'm sure it will hit me like a ton o' bricks when I'm finally there.
.
Come join me. It's gonna be a riot!

Race report coming soon :)

No comments: